How to clean:
1) Preliminary Check – Cut 3 heads of cauliflower from each box or case in halves or quarters. Shake the cauliflower well and break down the clusters onto the light box and check light box for infestation. Check for the presence of insects; determining if there is any type of infestation.*
- If any live thrips or aphids are found then the produce must not be used.
2) Prepare for Washing – Cut produce to desired pieces.
3) Prepare Checking Station - Add cold water and sufficient amount of food-grade soap or vegetable wash that contains a surfactant in the ingredients (for example FIT, Monster or Nature Clean) to a clean sink or container. The appropriate water to produce ratio is 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part produce). The proper amount of vegetable wash/soap is when the soap suds are visible in the water.
4) Soaking & Agitating - Place pieces in water ensuring that the cauliflower is completely submerged under water. Pieces are then thoroughly agitated. Pieces must be agitated in the water for a minimum of 1 minute.
5) Rinsing – Pieces should be removed from water and all of the cauliflower should be rinsed small handfuls under a strong stream of water (power wash). Be sure to rinse all sides/surfaces of the pieces.
NOTE: Steps 2-5 can be performed by anyone who is approved by the mashgiach. Steps 6-9 must be performed by the mashgiach himself.
6) Place Cauliflower in Receptacle – Fill receptacle with fresh water. Place cauliflower inside the receptacle fresh water such that the appropriate water to produce ratio is 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part produce). Agitate well. Remove pieces from the receptacle, while shaking out the water from the cauliflower; then place cauliflower in a clean container. Repeat until the process has been done to all the pieces.
7) Kosher Screen – Place a clean Kosher Screen in between 2 colanders and empty the water through the colanders ensuring that all the water goes into the Kosher Screen. Rinse the container with fresh water and empty the fresh water through the colanders. Let the water flow out completely through the Kosher Screen and into the drain. Shake the top strainer onto the Kosher Screen to ensure that any caught insects are now on the Kosher Screen.
8) Kosher Screen Checking – Place the Kosher Screen on the light box. Use a spray bottle to gently spray water on the Kosher Screen. This allows the dirt and pieces of cauliflower that are caught on the Kosher Screen to spread and allows clearer visibility of insects. It is crucial that the Kosher Screen be as clean as possible so that insects can be seen clearly. Examine the Kosher Screen on the light box for the presence of insects.
- If any insects are found then produce may not be used.
9) Sample Checking – 6 pieces of cauliflower must be checked by breaking apart the pieces and examining all surfaces under a strong light/lamp. If any insects are found then produce may not be used.*This check should be conducted one day prior to intended use so that an establishment can return the produce to the supplier if it is found to be infested.