How to clean:
NOTE: Kosher Screen Method E. (Strawberries) must be performed by the mashgiach himself.
1) Prepare for Washing – Remove the green leaf prior to washing. If the strawberry has crevices or is deformed then it is important to cut that part off of the strawberry in order to create a smooth surface. Be careful not to expose the hole in the middle of the strawberry.
2) Prepare Checking Station - Add cold water and sufficient amount of food-grade soap or vegetable wash that contains a surfactant in the ingredients (for example FIT, Monster or Nature Clean) to a clean sink or receptacle. The appropriate water to produce ratio is 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part produce). The proper amount of vegetable wash/soap is when the soap suds are visible in the water.
3) Soaking & Agitating - Place strawberries in water ensuring that they are completely submerged under water. Agitate thoroughly but gently. Produce should be agitated in the water and left to soak for at least 5 minutes.
4) Rinsing – Open the cold water tap and allow the water to create a strong flow into the clean sink or receptacle creating the “Jacuzzi effect” (water overflowing from the container rapidly) until all of the soap suds are rinsed out. Then take each strawberry out of the sink or container individually and massage their surface under the strong stream of water.
5) Container – Fill up the container with fresh water. Place strawberries inside the container. The appropriate water to produce ratio is 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part produce). Agitate well and slowly. Remove strawberries from the container, while shaking out the water from the strawberries; then place them in a clean container. Repeat until the process has been done to all the strawberries.
6) Kosher Screen – Place a clean Kosher Screen in between 2 colanders and empty the water through the colanders ensuring that all the water goes into the Kosher Screen. Rinse the container with fresh water and empty the fresh water through the colanders. Let the water flow out completely through the Kosher Screen and into the drain. Shake the top strainer onto the Kosher Screen to ensure that any caught insects are now on the Kosher Screen.
7) Kosher Screen Checking – Place the Kosher Screen on the light box. Use a spray bottle to gently spray water on the Kosher Screen. This allows the dirt to spread on the Kosher Screen and allows clearer visibility. Examine the Kosher Screen on the light box for the presence of insects.
- If even 1 insect is found on the Kosher Screen then strawberries may not be used.