How to clean:
1) Prepare for Washing – Remove the husk. Check for obvious infestation (thrips) which is noticeable and if found, do not use.
2) Prepare Checking Station - Add cold water and sufficient amount of food-grade soap or vegetable wash that contains a surfactant in the ingredients (for example FIT, Monster or Nature Clean) to a clean sink or receptacle. The appropriate water to produce ratio is 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part produce). The proper amount of vegetable wash/soap is when the soap suds are visible in the water.
3) Soaking & Agitating - Place cobs in water ensuring that it is completely submerged under water. Agitate thoroughly.
4) Rinsing – Remove cobs from water and rinse well under a strong stream of water (strong water pressure from the tap or spray hose is critical in ensuring the effectiveness of the rinse).
5) Container – Fill up the container with fresh water. Place cobs inside the container. The appropriate water to produce ratio is 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part produce). Agitate well and slowly. Remove cobs from the container, while shaking out the water from the cobs; then place them in a clean container.
6) Kosher Screen – Place a clean Kosher Screen in between 2 colanders and empty the water through the colanders ensuring that all the water goes into the Kosher Screen. Rinse the container with fresh water and empty the fresh water through the colanders. Let the water flow out completely through the Kosher Screen and into the drain. Shake the top strainer onto the Kosher Screen to ensure that any caught insects are now on the Kosher Screen.
7) Kosher Screen Checking – Place the Kosher Screen on the light box. Use a spray bottle to gently spray water on the Kosher Screen. This allows the dirt to spread on the Kosher Screen and allows clearer visibility. Examine the Kosher Screen on the light box for the presence of insects.
If even 1 insect is found on the Kosher Screen then corn may not be used
Note: Corn may not be barbequed with husks on
Type of insects found: