July 25, 2012
Please be advised that we have received recent reports of significant infestation in green cabbage; both Canadian and American.
Until further notice, we encourage the community to purchase pre-washed cabbage with a reliable kosher certification.
If this is not possible, the following procedure should be followed:
1) The 6 outer leaves (3 from each side) must be separated from each head of cabbage and checked for infestation.
2) If more than 3 insects are found in these outer leaves, then three additional layers should be checked.
3) If 3 or more thrips are found in the additional layers, then the cabbage should not be used.
4) If even 1 aphid is found in the additional layers, then the cabbage should not be used.
5) If less than 3 insects are found in the outer or additional layers, then continue to separate the leaves from the head or shred them.
6) Soak the separated leaves or shredded pieces in a soapy solution for 5 minutes and agitate well.
7) Rinse well.